mercredi 25 mars 2015

Tool Chain / Dev Stack options for robust WP webapp development?


I'm making a fairly sophisticated multisite webapp with lots of custom plugins and customs post types, custom fields, and settings. I really like to use the GUI Dev tools, like advanced custom fields, for their rapid development benefits. This approach has worked out fine when developing my single-site prototype, but I'm quite concerned about maintainability once I start deploying to production. To make things worse, I want my webapp to be more of a template site within a multi-site installation.


My webapp works fine on my singe-site development installation and I'm in the middle of migration to a multi-site installation, just now getting ready to push to production. My biggest issue, so far, is thinking through how I'll maintain the system. I cringe to think about syncing all of the stored-in-the-database configuration data to production, let alone each subsite that was based on the original template site. I really want everything in some sort of version control. But I also want to be able to do a hot-fix, when needed.


Basically, words are failing me, but what GUI toolchain/tool-stack do other people use, and how do they use them, when creating data-rich WordPress sites without getting themselves getting themselves into a maintenance quagmire?


Here are some dev stacks I've research and/or used... there are probably more out there


AppChase DevStack


My own stack that I'm using now, with reservations



  • CPT UI


  • Advanced Custom Fields PRO (ACF)

    • Purpose: Use a GUI to create extra fields on pages for Custom Post Types *Plugin URL: http://ift.tt/HaHFbk



  • Advanced Custom Fields: Options Page Adder


  • Advanced Custom Fields PRO: The Options Page add-on


  • Admin Columns


  • Gravity Forms (I use this, but not sure if it belongs in the list)


  • Menu Editor Pro (I use this, but not sure if it belongs in the list)




  • Pro: Does everything I need



  • Cons:

    • Difficult (very manual) to export to code, some don't have an export option

    • Difficult to propogate updates to other subsites

    • For ACF, once exported to code, GUI manipulate is no longer an option




ToolSet by OnTheGo System



Gravity Forms



  • Pro: This seems super powerful in many ways

  • Con: Not really meant for CPTs and admin stuff


Pods



  • Con: Seemed sort of immature when I check on it.


PS: PLEASE DO NOT CLOSE THIS as OFF TOPIC unless you can suggest a more appropriate place to post this question. I want to hear from other developers as to how they solve this scaling problem.





Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire